Friday, December 9, 2011

Shabbat Pizza


.

The dough is a Wolfgang Puck recipe

(I usually make 2 pizzas with this amount of dough. One round 14” and one in a cookie pan about 10” x 14”) It could be used for one deep dish thick crust as well.

1 pk fast acting dry yeast

1 tsp honey or sugar

1 cup warm water

1 tsp salt

1 tablespoon Olive Oil

3 cups flour ( plain all purpose) with a little extra set to the side

In large mixing bowl place flour and mix in salt. Add yeast, warm water, honey/sugar and oil.

Mix together until all flour is moist and blended in. It may seem dry but keep mixing. Turn out onto a surface to knead. Knead until elastic. About 7 -10 minutes. Due to humidity if it seems too sticky add a dash of flour as needed. ( I have not had to do this yet however I don’t measure my oil exactly and may have a bit more than indicated)


Put about a teaspoon of oil in a bowl ( you can use same bowl ) and place dough ball in and roll around until coated with oil. Place plastic wrap or a damp kitchen towel over bowl and let rise in warm area for about an hour or until dough looks about double.

Punch dough down and remove from bowl. Knead about 5-10 seconds. Divide in half. (you can improvise here if you need one piece bigger or smaller ) I usually set the two separate dough balls slightly apart on table, cover with plastic/towel and let rest another couple of minutes (dough likes to rest ˚͜˚ ) while I oil my pans. I coat the pans in a good rubbing of olive oil.
Working with one ball at a time. It usually takes a good effort to work the dough to the edges of the pan but it will eventually get there. I start out on the table because it’s so slippery in the pans. I get it stretched out about a third of the way or less, before placing in pan.

Pizza Sauce

This can be prepared while dough is rising.

One regular can (15oz) of tomato sauce and one small (6oz) can of tomato paste.
Place in sauce pan. I add a little water so I can let it simmer a while. I have no set measurements for the herbs so guessing: Approximately ¾ teaspoon Oregano, ½ teaspoon of Basil, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder, and a little black pepper.

After sauce has simmered about 20 minutes it’s ready to go on crust. Cover dough liberally with sauce. I use it all between the two pizzas.

Toppings of Choice
i e,
Hamburger (seasoned with a little of the same herbs in sauce after browning)

Turkey Pepperoni No Pork!
I usually use at least 3 different cheeses. Mostly Mozzarella, with a little sharp cheddar and Parmesan. I’m pretty liberal with the Mozzarella.
Topped off with a little sprinkle of Oregano.

The “Adult” pizza gets:
Onions, green bell peppers, black olives and sometimes mushrooms

I can’t get them boys to eat good yet.

Bake in preheated 475° oven for approximately 15 minutes. Adjust to your oven if needed.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment